During this Holy Week, a number of people will be baptized and received into full communion with the Catholic Church. Saint Paul's Outreach Kansas, in collaboration with St. John the Baptist Parish in Kansas City, KS, will be bringing three young adults into the Catholic Church: AJ Smith, Lauren Vaughan, and Will Carey. These young adults are some of the fruit of the work of Saint Paul's Outreach in Kansas City. Lauren is a post-university young adult, and AJ and Will connected with SPO at Johnson County Community College.
Please join us in praying for them this week, that the Lord would pour out His grace and Spirit in abundance upon them.
- Hometown: Prairie Village, KS
- Occupation: Program and Events Director at the Northeast Johnson County Chamber of Commerce
- About Lauren: The Lord invited me to become Catholic, as I have not chosen him but he has chosen me! :) Honestly, the richness, depth, freedom, mystery, intellect, and beauty of the faith all speak to the vastness and intimacy of God and draw me closer to him. As I am often reminded in spiritual direction, "Simon Peter answered him, 'Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.'"
- Hometown: Kansas City, KS
- Occupation: College student
- About AJ: I grew up going to a non-denominational church, but Christ was just a thing for my family. I didn't believe in the love of God until I experienced it two years ago and I have never felt a love that was so real and so genuine. I decided to become Catholic because there is an obvious gap in the Church. The gap is the segregation of Catholics and Protestants. Every time I drive past a parish that is next door to a Protestant church I always ask myself, 'I wonder if they worship together, or if they work together to serve the community, or do they even know each other?'. I made this decision because I want to grow in my faith and deepen my relationship with God and also with my brothers and sisters, and I want to experience both sides. I made this decision with the grace of knowing that regardless of what I decide, God is forever mine and I am His.
- Hometown: Westwood, KS
- Occupation: College student
- About Will: I am currently a junior accounting major at Emporia State University. I grew up and have lived in Kansas City almost my entire life. While attending Johnson County Community College I met Joe D'Amato on campus and began to hang out more with people from SPO. While on a Fan into Flame retreat, I recommitted my life to Christ and my life began to radically change for the better. I had previously been able to say that I knew who Jesus was, but not that I had a relationship with him. I never imagined that I would become Catholic, but as I began to learn more about the Church, I got rid of my preconceived notions of what it meant to be Catholic. Additionally, RCIA has given me the deeper truths of the Church and allowed me to grow in my faith.